Suggested Protocol for using Eurican® Herpes 205
- Identify the virus if possible, but often a presumptive diagnosis is made based on clinical signs.
- CHV-1 isolation on fresh post-mortem (contact laboratory first re collection)
- Paired serum samples from bitch around time of whelping
- Gross pathology shows characteristic changes
- Good recording is vital – start recording before starting vaccinations, preferably going back over past 12 months
- Average puppy birth weights
- Number of live pups per litter
- Number of dead pups per litter
- Age and breed of mother
- Number of unsuccessful matings
- Number of failed pregnancies
- Number of puppies dying before 3 weeks of age
- Start vaccinating all pregnant bitches – even a single vaccination has shown some beneficial effect.
- Remaining bitches should be vaccinated as per data sheet, i.e. first vaccine within 7-10 days of mating, 2nd vaccine 6-7 weeks later.
- Record again as above
- All puppies dying should be autopsied if costs allow, as fading puppy syndrome is a multifactoral disease
- Good recording is important to demonstrate efficacy and need for vaccination.